Monday, March 9, 2009

I'm loosing an eye! - Part 2

About 2 years ago, Reece woke up after a night of fire works for the 4th of July with her eye swollen shut.  We didn't know what happened.  We made a quick trip to urgent care (because you know we only get really sick on the weekends).    Learned that she had a misquote bite on her eye lid.   Nice, right?  The one place hat you can't put bug spray and Reece gets bitten there.  


Fast-forward to that evening.  Eye is still very swollen and we get in the bathroom to brush teeth for the night. She takes one look at herself, and looses it.  "I'M MISSING AN EYE!  I'M MISSING AN EYE!"  She finally calms down enough to look in the mirror as we raise her eye lid to show her that her eye is still there but it a little closed off at this time.  While I felt bad that she reacted that way, I still giggle a little about her comments. 

Why tell you this old story?  Because this weekend was part 2.  

Chad and Addison had run to the Minute Clinic on Sunday because Chad felt terrible and Addie was still running a little fever here and there and I wanted them to check her ears.  Reece and I stayed at the house and went outside to start pulling weeds in the front yard before we mowed.  Reece played for a while then wanted to help.  I wasn't going to turn down the help.  And she can keep a conversation going.

About 15 minutes into helping, Reece starts screaming.  Not the "Oh my - there is a dog over there" scream.   I am talking the one you have never heard before.  Not even the same scream as when she broke her elbow.  The kind where your heart stops.  I look over and her hands are covered in fire ants.  I beat them off.  Look closer at her and realize they are on her legs too.  Strip her naked in the drive way and run her to the tub.  We wash (drown) what ants are still on her.  She is still screaming.  I know that they hurt.  I just try to keep her calm.  She gets out about 5 minutes later and we get dressed in new clothes and dry hair.

As I am drying her hair, I notice that her eyes are starting to get puffy.  She has been a little puffy just with regular seasonal allergies but this is different.  Her face quickly starts to swell as well as her eyes.  I know that we are in trouble.  Have I mentioned that Reece has had a sever reaction to Benadryl in the past?  She just hallucinated for about 4 hours.  No big deal, right?  So there is nothing at the house that I feel comfortable giving her.  I try to call Chad.  No answer.  Call mom.  She says go.  Call Chad again.  No answer.  Reece and I jump in the car.  We start heading to Acute Kids.  I call Lori - ER or Acute Kids.  She's not home.  Dustin says ER.  

  Reece is starting to cough on the drive there.  Then she starts falling asleep on me.  I scream at her to wake up.  She does.  Finally get a hold of Chad.  They are on there way.  We get to Centennial. Not in record time. Preston Road sucks.  I over think everything.  We should have just gone to Children's.  I should have taken the Tollway.  But we are finally there.  

The triage nurse looks at her and takes us back. Reece's eyes are almost completely closed.  It has been about 45 minutes since she was bitten by the ants.  She does a little paperwork.  The doc comes in slower than I wanted but Reece's oxygen levels were good.  She gets a little steroid in her.  Throws up.  We are waiting for the next round and they bring in Benadryl.  They give her half the recommended dosage.  She does well with it and a new steroid and the nausea medicine just to make sure it all stays down.  

She improve quickly and I am thankful.  All in all, not a horrible trip but not one I don't want to make ever again.  Chad has treated the ants.  Reece's has played outside.  The world is right again.  We are making a phone call the the pedi about an epi pen.  Who knows how she will react again.  


***I know that I have be complaining a ton lately about how sick everyone has been.  It has just been our lives that last month and a half.  I think the girls at work think I suffer from Munchhausen by proxy syndrome.  I will try and make my next couple of post light hearted.  The kids are still funny.  I'll remember to tell you something good. 

3 comments:

Amy Ellis said...

Same thing happened to Ashley when she got ONE ant bite when she was about 2 and a half-- hive-like bumps all over, eyes swollen, major reaction. Thankfully she can take Benedryl, but to hear her talk about what happens when she gets an ant bite... she's scarred for life!

Lori said...

Giiiiiiiiiiirl, I had no idea! Hugs to you guys! Hang in there, tomorrow is hump day!

Sara Blackburn White said...

OMG! So scary..I am glad everyone is ok and so thankful they were able to act so fast!
Your in my thoughts!