Friday, October 15, 2010

All Girls Club


In elementary school, several girls and I would meet after school and walk to one house. It's was Kara's house. Once there, we would have some kind of great snack, giggle, do an art project, sing, and all other things girly. This would happen about every other week. We were all part of an all girls club called Girl Scouts. Troop 1367. I started as a Brownie and made it as a Girl Scout.


I don't think that I will ever forget what it was like as a Girl Scout. I guess it is the earliest stage of a great civic organization. They instilled good, honorable morals and values in everyone of us. I remember stand in a circle and singing the silly little song about making new friends but keeping the old. I remember the secret little hand squeeze as we had all of our arms crossed.


I'm not trying to tell you a story of "back when I was a little girl". I bring this up because Reece has brought about all of these memories. She has joined a Daisy Troop. Most of the girls go to the same school. On every other Thursday, Reece rides the bus with the other Daisies to the Troop Leaders house in the neighborhood. They have a snack and then start on a project. At the end, they sit in the same little circle that I did. They say the same promise. Sing the same song. Pass the "squeeze" of the hand in the circle.


It's just an indescribable feeling to know that we have experienced they same thing. It's the same feeling I had at her first dance recital. It's the reason that my eyes get watery with pride.


2 comments:

Stacy said...

Oh, I remember our sweet girl scout and brownie troop. How much fun it was. Was your mom a leader too?

Christine said...

No - I just remember Mrs. Clark and Mrs. Kriel. I don't remeber if mom was a leader for Sabrina's troop or not.