Tuesday, August 24, 2010

College Then and Now

I have noticed several difference in the college world since I last sat in a classroom 10 years ago. That's right folks. I have been out of college for 10 YEARS!!! It feels like yesterday that I was waiting tables and hitting the river in the same day. But the times have changed. Now on to the second half of my life. Here are a few things I wanted to share if you have the urge to go back to school.

  1. Yes - I am one of the older ladies in class. You may be too. I may have hurt the curve but I really like my A in psychology. I'm not sitting in the front, but probably should. That leads to #2.
  2. I have to wear glasses in class. Sitting in front of a computer for over 8 hours a day for the last year and a half has ruined what used to be my perfect vision. I now get headaches and the screen is closer than it should be.
  3. Take notes on the computer is much easier than writing them out. Not that you have to take notes because...#4
  4. Everything is online - all power points, test, extra links. Everything.
  5. I am in need of a geek. I am a little overwhelmed by all of the stuff you have to find and do online for every class. My BIO class this semester is suppose to be face to face but it turns out to be more blended. I had to register the book to get the extra stuff that didn't get printed in the $80 book.
  6. The online stuff is cool. I can chat with other class mates and the teacher. If you missed a day, the notes are there. You don't have to buy them for Notes and Quotes.
  7. EVERYONE is on facebook in class. I am a little guilty but it was a 2 hour class. But literally everyone is on it during the entire class. TAKE A BREAK!
  8. Your grades for online test are posted immediately. And in some cases you get multiple attempts. If you screwed up the first time, just take it again. Nice.

That's all I have for now. I will let you in on more secrets in the upcoming weeks.

2 comments:

Mitzi said...

I've only been out for five but I'm right there with you sister. I know you're going to rock it! Keep me posted on how your class is going... I love the details.

meganruth09 said...

You can do it, girl!! My grad classes weren't quite so dependent on internet a few years ago, but yes there is a huge difference in our undergraduate years versus now! Love ya!