Thursday, January 1, 2009

Not at this house

There has been some talk on a message board that I visit about "The Year Without".  It is basically you and your family deciding to give up certain things for a whole year.  Some of the families are going all out.  


  • no new clothes except underwear and socks - everything else will be bought from resale shops or wait until the following year
  • no eating except once a month
  • all handmade gifts
  • no frivolous spending
  • If it cost more than $100, buy it used or borrow it
  • If you want a treat or something special - you have to sell something to get the money to do it.
While it sounds easy in theory, I think this will be much more difficult than people think.  I understand why so many are doing it.  With so many loosing their jobs and the economy being the way that it is,  it is a great way to practice being very frugal. It is also a great way to save money for the future and pay off current debts.  Will we be doing this?  No way.  We have changed our lifestyle quite a bit from 2 years ago.  I like to think that I can be frugal when needed but I know that I can not go an entire year without buying clothes.  And I don't buy that much clothes.  

If you are interested in looking at more blogs (who isn't?), here is a link to the thread.  It has everyone that is participating listed.   

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What??!!! A year??

Dang! I think I will go for a week.