Disney's new movie, Brave, opened today. I have to admit, we are not opening day people. In fact, we don't make it to the movies that often. But about a month ago (if not more), the girls started asking (begging) us to go on opening day. They asked Chad to put a reminder on his phone. I had to write it on the family calendar. The countdown began.
I really wanted the girls to see this movie too. It had a very positive message about girl empowerment. It was a princess that was trying to make her future the way she wanted it and not how it is supposed to be because of tradition. And it had a good story line between the mom and the princess. Their relationship is difficult, constant fighting, not listening to one another, mom wanting only the best for her daughter. But their relationship grows and changes and they see the best in each other. I also liked the fact that Disney didn't kill the mom. (Don't act shocked. You know they kill the mom in every movie. The Little Mermaid, Nemo, Beauty and the Beast, Bambie.) It's nice to see that the mom is part of the happy ever after for a change.
We went with some friends. Four moms, eight kids. We put all eight kids in the row in front of us. At the end of the movie, the youngest from each family was sitting in their mom's lap. I'm not going to complain. I know that the days are numbered where they will come and sit in my lap. I know that they will start arguing with me (more) and our relationship will change too. For now, I'll be part of their happy ever after as long as they let me.
The annual REAL Christmas letter
7 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment