Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I claimed her from the Begining

When Addison was born, I told Chad that she was my child. He had this special bond with Reece because in her very early days he had her to himself because he was off every Friday. I wanted at least one child to really want me, just me. I know it sounds silly, but when you are the Mom, you secertly want them to want you more. Not that they should want their Dad, but dang it...I was the one with all of the extra weight, crazy looking body, and serious hormonal rushes. Shouldn't I at least get the most love? Well, I am starting to eat my words. When you claim your child, you have to claim the good and the bad. Like when Reece is sweeping the kitchen floors, Chad claims her. But when she is having a sobbing, can't breathe melt down, he has to claim that too. Do you understand where I am going with this?

So Addison is my child. My sweet girl runs to me and give sweet little kisses and hugs. She will go to bed easily for me. She has that silly little smile that makes me laugh every time. Well, here's the bad. The child has no fear. Zero, zip, nada. She will climb on top of everything and anything. She has learned to climb into the tub. And our biggest problem has been her climbing out of her highchair. We have been putting her in the safety approved, manufacturer's guild lines 5-point harness to keep her from standing up. And I say harness because it is. It is not a seatbelt or a safety belt. Anything the pins you down like this is a harness. Well, I finally had enough. The child some how would get out of it if I didn't do the top straps or she would scream through the entire meal. Not what I would call a great dinner. I couldn't stand her eating standing up in the high chair which , by the way, was the only way she would eat.

SO it is with great pride that I show you Addison's new high chair. I now know that someone else's child was doing the same thing. How do I know? Only another parent would look at this and say, "There is absolutely nothing for her to stand on, it is tight enough to limit the child to the sitting position only. This is the best invention ever." And they are right. She now dines like a normal person. No more serious meltdowns at dinner. No more crazy, magic moments. Just her eating her meal. True greatness.

2 comments:

Monica Ramsey said...

Ha... love it! I had the same problem with Braden a few months ago and now he only eats in a booster seat - and there is NO room for him to wiggle around in. I can totally relate! Thanks for sharing!!!

Mitzi said...

This is absolutely hilarious Christine! It's like she just wanted to be a big girl at the table- not a baby. Haha...